Recognition of credits

University of Granada | Escuela de Posgrado | e- administration


Recognition of credits

Descargar versión en PDF
Application period:As indicated in the calendar of administrative periods for each academic year
Submission via: UGR e-Administration Platform
Instructions: You must submit your application within the established period via the UGR e-Administration Platform. Please attach the application form for the recognition of master's degree credits and the supporting documents indicated in the form instructions.

IMPORTANT: If you are applying for the grant from the Spanish Ministry of Education and Vocational Training, note that if you are awarded any credits through recognition, validation or adaptation, the conditions for the award of the grant change. Therefore, before requesting to have any credits recognised, check the information available on the website of the UGR's Grants Service.

Recognition of credits

For official master's degree programmes, you can apply for the recognition of:

1. Courses that are closely related to your master's degree programme. For this, we will assess the correlation between the competences and knowledge gained in these courses and those expected to be acquired in your master's degree programme.
2. Credits earned in a non-university higher education degree regulated by the Organic Law of Education (LOE).
3. Official studies undertaken in foreign universities that are not subject to the regulations on international mobility of the University of Granada. For this, we will consider either (i) the correlation between the skills, knowledge and number of credits of the courses taken and those expected to be acquired in the master's degree, or (ii) the cross-disciplinary nature of the courses taken.
4. Credits earned in non-official university studies and accredited work experience, provided that such experience matches the competence objectives of your master's degree.

Key points to take into account

In order to be recognised, credits must be at the same educational level or higher than the degree you are undertaking.

The Direction of the International School for Postgraduate Studies is the body responsible for the recognition and transfer of credits. In accordance with the regulations in force, this body will make a decision based on the mandatory report submitted by the academic committee of your master's degree.

Credits recognised through work experience and non-official university studies may not exceed 15% of the overall number of credits of the curriculum. Only a maximum of 6 credits can be recognised for non-official university studies.

However, in exceptional circumstances, all credits from a university-specific degree or a higher percentage of them may be recognised if that degree has been definitively discontinued and replaced by the official degree for which recognition is being requested. In such case, the verification report of the new curriculum proposed and submitted for approval must state this circumstance. The report must also be accompanied by the corresponding curriculum design of the university-specific degree.

Under no circumstances will master’s dissertation credits be recognised.

Grades on your student record

For recognised courses, we apply a numerical grade equivalent to the one awarded at the school or faculty of origin. In the event that several similar courses are to be recognised as a single course, the grade awarded will be the result of a cumulative grade point average.

When only qualitative grades are included in the original student record, these will be converted into numerical grades using the following equivalence table:

Pass: 6
Very Good: 8
Excellent: 9.5
With Honours: 10

If you have completed part of your studies abroad, grades will be converted using, where appropriate, the equivalence tables established by the Andalusian Directorate General for Universities. This body establishes the criteria for the calculation of the average mark that appears in the record of students with an officially recognised foreign degree.

Any recognised courses or credits that were not originally graded will not count towards the average mark of your student record.

Any credits recognised for non-official university studies and accredited work experience will not be graded.


The recognition and transfer of credits will require the payment of the fees established by the autonomous region of Andalusia.

In accordance with the provisions of the annual decree of the Regional Ministry of Economy, Knowledge, Enterprise and Universities (CECEU) of Andalusia, which sets the fees for academic and administrative services at Andalusian public universities, students requesting recognition and/or transfer of credits will pay 30% of the fees corresponding to the registered credits.

Administrative processing

The credit recognition and transfer process will be initiated at the REQUEST of the student concerned through the established electronic procedure.

Submission via: UGR e-Administration Platform.

It is an essential REQUIREMENT that you are enrolled in the master's degree programme against which credit is being sought. However, this will not be necessary if the credits to be recognised will allow you to meet all the requirements to complete a degree, with the exception of the master's dissertation.

The APPLICATION PERIOD for recognition and transfer of credits for each academic year will be determined by the Governing Council of the University.


1. Applications for credit recognition must be accompanied by all the necessary documentation to proceed with the decision.

2. For completed university studies, higher non-university education or other university studies, you must provide the following documentation:

a) Official academic transcript of the completed studies issued by the faculty or school of origin, stating the name of the courses passed, the number of credits earned (or the number of hours per week and whether the courses were annual or semester-based) and the grades obtained in each of them.
If these studies belong to the University of Granada, you will not need to present the transcript.
b) Academic programming of the courses for which recognition is being sought, stamped by the faculty or school of origin.

3. For foreign qualifications, the documentation must be issued by the corresponding competent authorities and duly translated into Spanish. Certificates and diplomas must be diplomatically legalised, except if they were obtained in a country of the European Higher Education Area. For signatory countries of the Hague Convention, the documentation must be submitted with the corresponding apostille. You must also provide information on the university grading system or marking scale of the country of origin, indicating the minimum grade to pass the course as well as the marks and scoring intervals.

4. In order to document work experience you must provide, at least, one of the following documents or its equivalent in the country of origin, as appropriate:

a) A working life report issued by the Central Treasury of the Spanish Social Security stating the name of the employer(s) and the length of service in the corresponding contribution group.
b) Employment contracts or appointments registered in the Social Security.
c) For the documentation of self-employed work, you must provide a certification issued by the Central Treasury of the Social Security stating the periods of registration in the Social Security, the corresponding special scheme and a description of the work performed (including dates).
d) A report with a detailed description of the activities performed and their dates.
e) Company certificates accrediting the tasks mentioned above, as well as any other supporting evidence of the experience claimed and its correlation with the competences of the degree for which credit recognition is requested.
f) For the documentation of extracurricular work placements, you must provide the corresponding official academic transcript.

5. Faculties and schools may have complementary regulations regarding the recognition of credits for work experience and non-official university education.


The competent body must make a decision within three months of the end of the application period. Once this period has elapsed, the application will be deemed granted.

You may appeal against this decision to the Rector of the University of Granada. After this, all administrative procedures will be exhausted.

Recognition and transfer of credits

Recent content in: