Legalisation of academic documents

University of Granada | Escuela de Posgrado | e- administration


Legalisation of academic documents

Descargar versión en PDF

Legalisation of academic documents issued by the University of Granada

Academic documents issued by the University of Granada must be legalised or bear the corresponding Apostille (whichever is applicable) in order to be valid in other countries. However, in the case of member states of the European Union or signatory countries to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, the legal provisions of each country will apply.

Prior to this process, document signatures must be recognised by a competent body, as indicated in the procedure of the Spanish Ministry of Education and Vocational Training (MEFP) .

More information: University of Granada Secretary’s Office .

Process of legalisation of academic documents issued abroad

Information on the legalisation of documents should be provided by the university where you completed your studies, the corresponding competent authority or the consular services of the country of origin of your academic documents.

The formalities required for legalisation (and, therefore, for these documents to be valid in Spain) vary according to the country of origin of your degree certificates and depending on whether there is an applicable international agreement.


Member states of the European Union and signatories to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or to a bilateral agreement with the European Union:

Certification: No legalisation of documents is required; a simple certification is sufficient.

Member states of the European Union: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

Signatories to the Agreement on the European Economic Area: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Bilateral agreement with the European Union: Switzerland.

Signatory countries of the Hague Convention of 05/10/1961:

Hague Apostille: The relevant authorities of the country must recognise the signatures of the academic representatives and issue the corresponding Hague Apostille. The Apostille must appear on the original document.

Countries: Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Botswana, Brunei, Cape Verde, Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Georgia, Grenada, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Lesotho, Liberia, Macao, Macedonia, Malawi, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Namibia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue, Oman, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Russian Federation, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Serbia, Seychelles, South Africa, South Korea, Suriname, Swaziland, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu and Venezuela.

Signatory countries of the “Andrés Bello” Convention (Bolivia, Colombia, Cuba, Chile, Ecuador, Spain, Panama, Paraguay, Peru and Venezuela) and other countries:

Documents from these countries must be diplomatically legalised. For this purpose, they must be submitted to:

1. The Ministry of Education of the country of origin, for the recognition of the signatures that appear on the original document.

2. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin, for the legalisation of the recognition of signatures carried out at the Ministry of Education mentioned above.

3. The Spanish Consulate in the country of origin, for the recognition of the signature of the legalisation mentioned above.

Official translation of academic documents

Documents that have not been issued in Spanish, English, French, Italian or Portuguese must be accompanied by their corresponding official translation into Spanish, along with the translator's stamp.

In the case of documents that must be legalised, the official translation must be done once the legalisation procedure has been completed. Therefore, the official translation must include the legalised signatures. Please note that submitting the official translation does not exempt you from submitting the original document.

Translation into Spanish can be made:

- By a sworn translator, duly authorised or registered in Spain.

- By the Office for the Interpretation of Languages (OIL) of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation (MAEUEC).

- By UNESCO, the office of the Iberoamerican Centre for Cooperation or any other organisation recognised by Spain.

- By any Spanish diplomatic or consular office abroad.

- By the diplomatic representation in Spain of the country of which the applicant is a national or of the country of origin of the document.